What is Relay?
Relay is a financial management tool that helps consumers plan for everyday expenses and earn incredible cashback rewards in the process.
What does Relay provide?
Relay consists of three components:
- Relay Planned-Spend Account
- Relay Visa® Prepaid Card (“Relay Card”)
- Relay Cashback Rewards
When you enroll in Relay, you simultaneously open both a Planned-Spend Account and a Relay Card account. The Planned-Spend Account is funded at enrollment with a one-time, lump sum. Each month, a set payout is pulled from your Planned-Spend Account and loaded onto your Relay Card, which can be used everywhere Visa debit cards are accepted.
When you spend your monthly payouts on purchases, you’ll earn incredible cashback rewards. The only exception is if you withdraw money, enter a PIN, or make an ACH transfer. Your cashback rate is determined by the specific Planned-Spend Account you choose at enrollment. Relay currently offers plans options with terms ranging between 3 and 7 years in duration.
When you’re a Relay customer:
- You have a tool to help you purchase everyday expenditures.
- You can earn incredible cashback rewards.
- You can earn competitive interest on the balance of your Planned-Spend Account of at least 1.00% APY.
Who is behind Relay?
The Relay team consists of insurance and financial technology experts that share a mission to help consumers meet their financial goals and augment their purchasing power by offering a suite of intuitive digital products.
Relay is operated promoted and administered by Tomorrow Loyalty Services, LLC, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Group1001, an insurance holding company in the United States with assets under management of $36 billion of September 30, 2018.
Relay is made possible with the help of our partners:
- The Relay Planned-Spend Account is an immediate annuity, form number GLA-SPIA-RL-01 or a variation of such, issued by Guggenheim Life and Annuity Company (“Guggenheim Life”), which is headquartered in Indianapolis, Indiana. Guggenheim Life is a Delaware-domiciled insurance company (d/b/a Guggenheim Life and Annuity Insurance Company in California; NAIC #83607). Relay and/or certain features may not be available in all states. Guggenheim Life is currently licensed and authorized to do business in 49 states (all states except New York), the District of Columbia and Puerto Rico. The Relay Planned-Spend Account is not FDIC insured, is not guaranteed by Sunrise Banks N.A., is not a deposit account, and may lose value.
- The Relay rewards program is offered to cardholders by Sunrise Banks, N.A. and administered by Urban FT, Inc. under license by Tomorrow Loyalty Services, LLC.
- The Relay Visa® Prepaid Card (“Relay Card”) is issued by Sunrise Banks N.A., St. Paul, MN 55103, Member FDIC, pursuant to a license from Visa U.S.A. Inc. The Relay Card may be used everywhere Visa® debit cards are accepted. Use of the Relay Card constitutes acceptance of the terms and conditions stated in the Cardholder Agreement.
Who is Relay designed for?
Relay is perfect for people who want to make the most of their hard-earned money by maximizing spending power and earning cashback rewards. If you recognize that planning ahead and spending responsibly are smart ways to achieve your financial goals, then you will appreciate the value of Relay.
Relay Key Terms and Features
Let’s define some of the key terms and features to better understand the Relay value proposition.
- Lump Sum: To open a Planned-Spend Account, you will need to provide a “lump sum” - a one-time upfront initial payment. For example, you could open a 3-year, $200/month Planned-Spend Account with a $7,096.54 lump sum.
- Monthly Payout: The funds generated by the Planned-Spend Account and subsequently loaded each month onto a customer’s Relay Card. In the example immediately above, a monthly payout of $200 would be loaded onto your Relay Card each month for three years.
- Plan: The duration of the Planned-Spend Account, in years. We currently offer plans with 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7-year terms.
- Interest rate: The rate earned on the cash balance of a Planned-Spend Account, which currently ranges from 1.00%-1.25% APY, depending on the term you select.
- Cashback rate: The cashback percentage you earn when you spend the monthly payouts loaded onto your Relay Card. Your cashback rate is determined by the specific Planned-Spend Account you choose at enrollment. For example, if you choose a 3-year plan, your cashback rate will be 3%. Your specific cashback rate schedule will be documented and provided to you when you open a Planned-Spend Account.
- Relay Visa® Prepaid Card (“Relay Card”): When you open a Planned-Spend Account, you will also open a Relay Card account. Your Relay Card is what you use to spend your monthly payouts and earn your cashback rewards. Please refer to the Cardholder Agreement for more information regarding the terms and usage of your Relay Card.
How do I sign up for Relay?
To get started with enrollment, click “Build Your Plan” at the top of the home page to select your desired Planned-Spend Account option.
You can build your own Planned-Spend Account by selecting a monthly payout amount and a plan term. Monthly payout options range from $200/month to $2000/month, and plan terms range from 3 to 7 years. Once you’ve chosen your desired monthly payout and term, our Plan Builder will calculate the lump sum needed to open your Planned-Spend Account. From there, select “Choose Plan & Continue” to proceed with the online application.
Once you’ve successfully applied for your Planned-Spend Account and Relay Card, download the Relay app from the App Store or Google Play, which will allow you to monitor your monthly payouts, Relay Card balance, and cashback rewards.
Are there any restrictions for signing up for Relay?
Currently, Relay is only available for legal U.S. residents of California, Florida, Illinois, Indiana, New Jersey, Massachusetts, and Texas who are over 18 years of age and possess a valid Social Security Number. Relay will soon be available for residents living in other states. If you don’t live in one of the states listed above and you’d like to join our waitlist, please provide your contact information here.
Can I open more than one Relay account?
At this time, Relay customers are limited to opening a single Planned-Spend Account and one Relay Card per person.
Why do I have to provide my Social Security Number?
To help the federal government fight the funding of terrorism and money laundering activities, the USA PATRIOT Act requires all financial institutions and their third parties to obtain, verify and record information that identifies each person who opens an account. What this means for you: When you open an account, we will ask for your name, address, date of birth, and other information that will allow us to identify you. We may also ask to see your driver’s license or other identifying documents. See our Legal page for more information about how we collect, use, and protect your information.
Will you run a credit check on me?
No. Enrolling in Relay does not require us to run a credit check but is subject to ID verification.
How can I update my Relay account information?
If you want to change your beneficiaries, your address, or the name associated with Relay because of a marriage or divorce, that’s not a problem. The appropriate forms are located in your Document Center when you log into your account at www.relayrewards.com. Each form contains specific instructions and information for the appropriate customer support team to assist with an update.